Recycling Extravaganza: REX!
Sunday, April 3, 2016 10 am – 2 pm – New date and time!
St. Louis Community College – Forest Park Campus, 5600 Oakland Avenue (map)
Free* | Open to the public | Bring only items listed below(update to follow)
The Recycling Extravaganza, a collection event for hard-to-recycle items in its sixth year, will be on its very own day to kick off the 2016 Earth month for St. Louis Earth Day! Below is a list of items that were collected in 2015, including everything from CFL light bulbs and bicycles to used shoes and small appliances. Many of the items and hopefully even more will be collected again in 2016, so check back in early 2016 for an updated list. Start collecting and planning your spring cleaning accordingly.
2015 Tips for Participating:
- DO NOT DROP OFF MATERIALS EARLY. COLLECTORS MUST BE PRESENT TO ACCEPT MATERIALS.
- DO NOT bring materials that are not on the list. If there is no one accepting an item you bring to the event, please keep it in your car.
- *UPDATE!! Midwest Recycling Center will need to charge participants for CRT TVs (glass). Cost is $20 for CRT TVs under 27 inches and $40 for CRT TV’s over 27 inches including all consoles and big screens. All other items, including CRT monitors and flat screen TVs are collected for free. See their website for more information: midwrc.net
- ABSOLUTELY NO chemicals, household hazardous waste, paints or liquids.
- For more information on recycling chemicals, hazardous waste, paint, etc. contact the St. Louis Household Hazardous Waste website or the Missouri Botanical Garden’s Green Resources Answer Service.
- Participant Map and Survey: Pack smart! Load your car so that you will be able to access items as you pass the collection points, as ordered below. Download and print our site map and survey (here) and bring it with you to REX.
- Check back often as this listing may change before the event.
- You can sign up to volunteer and help at the collection event.
MAP click on map to view | Scroll down for a list of collectors & items confirmed for 2015. Participant Map and Survey
2016 Vendors (New map to follow)
St. Louis Earth Day & Partner Organizations
Items Collected: Compact fluorescent light bulbs
Items Collected: Prescription and non-prescription unwanted and expired medications | NO illicit or illegal substances, aerosol inhalers or needles accepted| Collection is anonymous, no records are kept, no ID required.
Play it Forward
Items Collected: Guitars | Violins | Drum Sets | Trumpets | Guitars | Cellos | Bass instruments | Saxophones | Flutes | Violas | band instruments | sheet music | stands | and teachers. NO PIANOS
Shoeman Water Project
Items Collected: Shoes (new and gently used)
St. Louis Teachers’ Recycle Center
Items Collected: Buttons, non-electronic board games, Mardi Gras beads, loose beads, children’s books, children’s art supplies, corks, puzzles, costume jewelry, sea shells, yarn.
Items Collected: Bicycles and anything related to bicycles | Computer towers
Items Collected: Lumber: boards, trim, decking, hardwood, and plywood | Tools: hand tools, power tools, shop equipment, old man tools, gardening tools | Workshop items: workbenches, shelves, storage bins, crates, and tool boxes | Miscellaneous hardware: fasteners, building supplies, etc.
ReStore – Habitat for Humanity Saint Louis
Items Collected: Building & Construction Materials | Household Supplies (sinks, doors, light fixtures, toilets, etc.) | Anything you might find in a hardware store
St. Louis HELP: Health Equipment Lending Program
Items Collected: Home Medical Equipment (HME) including, but not limited to, manual wheelchairs, power wheelchairs, scooters, canes, crutches, walkers, shower chairs, grab bars, elevated toilet seats, portable commodes, lift chairs, seating cushions, ROHO cushions, back supports, electric hospital beds, van lifts and stair lifts | Nearly every type of HME | PLEASE NO oxygen canisters and medications
Flooring Systems, Inc.
Items Collected: Broadloom carpet | Carpet tiles | Carpet pads
Collecting clean Expanded Polystyrene (EPS – “styrofoam”) packaging forms; no cardboard attached. No packing peanuts. Clean foam water cups accepted. No foam food containers. Please bring in open plastic bags which can be viewed to confirm it is only clean foam dropped off for collection.
Midwest Recycling Center
Items Collected: Appliances – functioning & non-functioning, large & small | Holiday lights | TVs/monitors (see restrictions listed below) | Computers & parts | Microwaves | Dishwashers | Refrigerators | Electronics, etc. | Extension cords | Anything with a cord! | Lab & medical equipment | Lawn & garden equip. EMPTY Please! NO GAS
- UPDATE for 2016!! Midwest Recycling Center will need to charge participants for CRT TVs (glass). Cost is $20 for CRT TVs under 27 inches and $40 for CRT TVs over 28 inches. Consoles, DLP and Rear Projection TVs will cost $50 each to recycle. CRT monitors will cost $5 each to recycle. LED, LCD or Plasma TV’s and LED Monitors are collected for free. See their website for more information: midwrc.net
Recycled Treasure Box Program (New in 2016)
Items Collected: Empty personal care items (shampoo,lotion,body wash),empty makeup containers,empty toothpaste and used toothbrushes,#6 Solo cups, ink cartridges, cell phones, MP3 players,digital cameras and school supplies
Citishred (New in 2016)
Service: Paper shredding on-site
CLICK HERE to download and view a list of items collected by category.
page updated 11.18.15