Volunteer with Recycling On the Go
If you like getting your hands dirty, sharing your passion for recycling with others, and feeling satisfied that you made a real difference — then you’re in the right place!
How to Volunteer:
- Read the information below about volunteering with Recycling On the Go.
- Submit our volunteer form.
- Look for email with a link to our volunteer opportunity calendar.
- Sign up the the events and times you would like, and have fun!
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities:
- Festival of Nations in Tower Grove Park August 28 – 31
- Friday — set up 12 pm – 5 pm
- Saturday — monitor one of four waste stations between 11:30 am – 7 pm (partial shifts available)
- Sunday — monitor one of four waste stations between 11:30 am – 7 pm (partial shifts available), clean up.
- Monday — equipment cleanup and inventory at our office 12 pm – 5 pm
- Food Truck Friday in Tower Grove Park September 11
- 4 pm – 7:30 pm monitor waste stations
- 7:30 pm – 10:00 pm pack up
- St. Louis Sympony Forest Park Concert on Art Hill September 15 8 pm – 10 pm breakdown
- Kirkwood Greentree Festival (111 N. Geyer Rd in Kirkwood) September 18 – 20
- Friday — 6 pm – 8 pm monitor waste stations
- Saturday — 11:30 am – 2:30 pm monitor waste stations
- Sunday — 4 pm – 6:30 pm monitor wast stations
- Trailnet Share the Streets Party at the Old Post Office Plaza Downtown St. Louis September 20
- 11 am – 4 pm monitor waste station (partial shifts available)
- Pedal the Cause at Chesterfield Amphitheater September 26 – 27
- Saturday — 2 pm – 7 pm monitor waste stations
- Sunday — 10:30am – 3 pm monitor waste stations, 5 pm – 10 pm breakdown
- Urban Chestnut Brewing Company Oktoberfest Midtown brewery September 26 – 27
- Saturday — Noon – 7 pm monitor waste station (partial shifts available)
- Sunday — Noon – 7 pm monitor waste station (partial shifts available)
- Strange Folk Festival at Union Station September 26 – 27
- Saturday — 10 am – 8 pm monitor waste station (partial shifts available)
- Sunday — 10 am – 5 pm monitor waste station (partial shifts available)
- Food Truck Friday in Tower Grove Park October 2
- 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm monitor waste stations
- 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm pack up
- Girls on the Run 5K downtown at Soldiers Memorial November 14
- 7:30 am – 11 am finish line chute volunteers to collect materials
- 11:00 am – 1:30 pm pack up
—> SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER: CLICK HERE <—
About Volunteering with Recycling On the Go:
“I just wanted to let you know that the recycling station job was a big hit. Having someone around who understood the recycling process made the whole thing a hands-on learning experience…Every time Bill was at my station, people asked a ton of questions. I never thought 2 hours sorting garbage could be fun! Thanks for giving me the opportunity!”
Barb Gist, An ROG volunteer with Chinese Culture Days at the Missouri Botanical Garden in 2013.
Volunteer Guide: recycling only events
Volunteer Guide: events with recycling & composting
The program provides recycling bins which are composed of a wire frame, plastic lid and bag. The most labor-intensive parts of the program are the loading and unloading, but even just one extra set of hands makes an incredible difference! Supplies includes wire frames (approx. 5 lbs), plastic bin lids (approx. 2 lbs), bags, signs, and misc. items such as bags, clips, name tags, etc. Most events require a minimum of 20 bins and up to 60 bins for larger events like PrideFest.
You should be prepared for lifting up to 20 lbs comfortably and bending/leaning over frequently. Some events employ a waste station model where volunteers are needed to help attendees sort their waste into compost, recycling, and landfill. In this case, heavy lifting and bending is not required. If you are concerned about the physical requirements of volunteering, please contact us – we will make sure you know what to expect and we will make accommodations as best we can.
Closed toed shoes are required. We have some utility gloves, but you are welcome to bring your own. We provide plastic gloves, if requested, for changing out the recycling bin bags. Please be prepared for rain or shine. During the events, depending on the size of the crowd, monitoring the bins and changing out the recycling bags can be leisurely or high energy. We encourage all ROG team members to explore the events that we service and take breaks when needed.