Volunteer with Recycling On the Go
If you like getting your hands dirty, sharing your passion for recycling with others, and feeling satisfied that you made a real difference — then you’re in the right place! Volunteers have expressed that this is much better than handing out brochures at the festival entrance or other volunteer jobs they’ve done. You’ve just gotta try it!
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities at some really great events include:
- Sauce Magazine’s Food Truck Friday event series (every second Friday May-Sept plus October 7, 2016)
- Twilight Tuesdays May 10, 17, 24, 31 and August 30- Sign Up Here
- Schlafly’s Art Outside May 27-29, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Great Rivers Greenway’s Life Outside Festival June 11, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Pride Fest June 24-26, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Macklind Mile June 25, 2016- Sign Up Here
- SLAM Outdoor Film Series July 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th- Sign Up Here
- Trailnet’s Share the Street Party August 13, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Festival of the Little Hills August 19-21st, 2016- Sign Up Here
- International Institute of St. Louis’ Festival of Nations August 27-28, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Schlafly’s Hop in the City September 17, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Murmuration September 23-25, 2016 (tenative)
- Pedal the Cause September 24-25, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Schlafly’s Great Pumpkin Harvest Festival October 15, 2016- Sign Up Here
About Volunteering with Recycling On the Go:
“I just wanted to let you know that the recycling station job was a big hit. Having someone around who understood the recycling process made the whole thing a hands-on learning experience…Every time Bill was at my station, people asked a ton of questions. I never thought 2 hours sorting garbage could be fun! Thanks for giving me the opportunity!”
Barb Gist, An ROG volunteer with Chinese Culture Days at the Missouri Botanical Garden in 2013.
The program provides recycling and composting services to special events around the St. Louis metropolitan area.
Volunteers should be prepared for standing for a significant period of time (2-8 hours) and lifting up to 20-40 lbs comfortably, bending/leaning/twisting frequently. Events employ a waste station model where volunteers are needed to help attendees sort their waste into compost, recycling, and landfill. In this case, heavy lifting and bending is not required. If you are concerned about the physical requirements of volunteering, please contact us – we will make sure you know what to expect and we will make accommodations as best we can.
Closed toed shoes are required. We provide plastic gloves for changing out the recycling bin bags. Please be prepared for rain or shine. During the events, depending on the size of the crowd, monitoring the bins and changing out the recycling bags can be leisurely or high energy. We encourage all ROG team members to explore the events that we service and take breaks when needed.