Recycling On the Go
Advancing event sustainability through education & action since 2006.
St. Louis Earth Day’s Recycling On the Go is the region’s first large-scale event greening program. Our goal is to reduce the negative environmental impact of events and festivals by reducing and recycling a portion of the waste they generate. We offer a full range of services from managing event recycling to full event greening assessments and action plans.
- See our ROG calendar to find out where you can find recycling at upcoming events.
- Visit our volunteer opportunities page to find out how you can help. Individuals and groups welcome!
Upcoming ROG Events:
July 24 – SLAM Film Series: “Clueless” on Art Hill in Forest Park
July 31 – SLAM Film Series: “The Sound of Music” on Art Hill in Forest Park
August 14 – Food Truck Friday in Tower Grove Park
August 21-23 Festival of the Little Hills in St. Charles
August 29-30 Festival of Nations in Tower Grove Park
Get recycling or composting at your event!
- Full Service Event Greening We’ll help you examine your event and identify areas where eco-friendly approaches can be applied. We specialize in waste diversion and can arrange waste haulers, on-site recycling/compost management and/or support vendor communications so that your green goals are realized.
Let’s Get Started: Click here to submit information about your event.
- Do-It-Yourself Event Recycling Allows access to our fleet of recycling and compost bins by small event organizers and community groups through our bin loan program. Perfect for fundraisers and church gatherings!
Let’s Get Started: Click here to learn more about the DIY loan program.
- Our service was available on 127 event days and experienced by almost 900,000 event-goers!
- We provided full service event greening at 52 large area events.
- Our recycling bins were utilized at 39 community events, charity functions and celebrations through our Do-It-Yourself recycling loan program.
- We diverted 82 tons of mixed recyclables, organic waste and compostable food service items and spent cooking oil! That’s almost 1,500 cubic yards of waste! In addition to breaking our record for waste diversion, we provided event greening services at more events than ever.
- Full listing of our 2014 ROG events.
About Recycling On the Go
Recognized in 2014 by the Missouri Waste Control Coalition with the Outstanding Achievement Award for Environmental Leadership for improved waste management practices and wise use of natural resources. Named Outstanding Community Recycling Program for 2012 by the Missouri Recycling Association. We began in 2006 when St. Louis Earth Day was awarded grant funding to pilot a program focused on reducing and recycling waste produced at special events. Since the official launch of Recycling On the Go in 2007, approximately 323 tons of materials have been diverted from area landfills (primarily recycling, but this figure includes compost and spent oil). Recycling On the Go has enhanced the waste management of 428 events (785 event days). Many of these events occur annually, and so ROG has become an established part of organizers’ planning and patrons’ experience. Over the past eight seasons, the program has exposed over 5.8 million people to recycling when away from home. Through these efforts, people have come to expect access to recycling containers when they attend an event.