Recycling On the Go
St. Louis Earth Day’s Recycling On the Go is the region’s first large-scale event greening program, advancing event sustainability through education and action since 2006. Our goal is to reduce the negative environmental impact of events and festivals by reducing and recycling a portion of the waste they generate. We offer a full range of services from managing event recycling to full event greening assessments and action plans.
Please note that on April 22, 2015, Mayor Francis Slay signed Executive Order #52 which REQUIRES all permitted events in the City of St. Louis to provide recycling. Let us help you meet these requirements at your next special event!
Upcoming ROG Events:
- See our ROG calendar to find out where you can find recycling at upcoming events.
- Visit our volunteer opportunities page to find out how you can help. Individuals and groups welcome!
The ROG event season is slowing down with no new events on the calendar until March 3, 2016!
- Schlafly’s Stout and Oyster Festival at the Tap Room – March 3-5, 2016
- Recycling Extravaganza April 3, 2016
- St. Louis Earth Day Festival April 24, 2016
Get recycling or composting at your event!
- Full Service Event Greening We’ll help you examine your event and identify areas where eco-friendly approaches can be applied. We specialize in waste diversion and can arrange waste haulers, on-site recycling/compost management and/or support vendor communications so that your green goals are realized.
Let’s Get Started: Click here to submit information about your event.
- Do-It-Yourself Event Recycling Allows access to our fleet of recycling and compost bins by small event organizers and community groups through our bin loan program. Perfect for fundraisers and church gatherings!
Let’s Get Started: Click here to learn more about the DIY loan program.
- Our service was available on 127 event days and experienced by almost 900,000 event-goers!
- We provided full service event greening at 52 large area events.
- Our recycling bins were utilized at 39 community events, charity functions and celebrations through our Do-It-Yourself recycling loan program.
- We diverted 82 tons of mixed recyclables, organic waste and compostable food service items and spent cooking oil! That’s almost 1,500 cubic yards of waste! In addition to breaking our record for waste diversion, we provided event greening services at more events than ever.
- Full listing of our 2014 ROG events.
About Recycling On the Go
Recognized in 2014 by the Missouri Waste Control Coalition with the Outstanding Achievement Award for Environmental Leadership for improved waste management practices and wise use of natural resources. Named Outstanding Community Recycling Program for 2012 by the Missouri Recycling Association. We began in 2006 when St. Louis Earth Day was awarded grant funding to pilot a program focused on reducing and recycling waste produced at special events. Since the official launch of Recycling On the Go in 2007, approximately 323 tons of materials have been diverted from area landfills (primarily recycling, but this figure includes compost and spent oil). Recycling On the Go has enhanced the waste management of 428 events (785 event days). Many of these events occur annually, and so ROG has become an established part of organizers’ planning and patrons’ experience. Over the past eight seasons, the program has exposed over 5.8 million people to recycling when away from home. Through these efforts, people have come to expect access to recycling containers when they attend an event.