Recycling On the Go
Recycling On the Go began in 2006 when St. Louis Earth Day was awarded grant funding to pilot a program focused on reducing and recycling waste produced at special events. Since the official launch of Recycling On the Go in 2007, approximately 401 tons of materials have been diverted from area landfills (primarily recycling, but this figure includes compost and spent oil). Recycling On the Go has enhanced the waste management of 537 events (932 event days). Many of these events occur annually, and so ROG has become an established part of organizers’ planning and patrons’ experience. Over the past eight seasons, the program has exposed over 7 million people to recycling when away from home. Through these efforts, people have come to expect access to recycling containers when they attend an event.
Want composting and recycling at your event? Click Here!!
In 2014 ROG was recognized by the Missouri Waste Control Coalition for Outstanding Achievement Award for Environmental Leadership for improved waste management practices and wise use of natural resources. ROG was also named Outstanding Community Recycling Program for 2012 by the Missouri Recycling Association.
- Our service was available at 110 events on 150 event days!
- We provided full service event greening at 67 large area events with an average rate of diversion of 69%. When we provided composting our median average at 43 events was 88%!
- Our recycling bins were utilized at 43 community events, charity functions and celebrations through our Do-It-Yourself recycling loan program.
- We diverted 83 tons of mixed recyclables, organic waste and compostable food service items and spent cooking oil! That’s almost 1,600 cubic yards of waste! In addition to breaking our record for waste diversion, we provided event greening services at more events than ever putting resources back into our local economy through recycling and composting.
- Full listing of our 2015 ROG events.
For Event Planners
Get recycling or composting at your event!
- Full Service Event Greening We’ll help you examine your event and identify areas where eco-friendly approaches can be applied. We specialize in waste diversion and can arrange waste haulers, on-site recycling/compost management and/or support vendor communications so that your green goals are realized.
Let’s Get Started: Click here to submit information about your event.
- Do-It-Yourself Event Recycling Allows access to our fleet of recycling and compost bins by small event organizers and community groups through our bin loan program. Perfect for fundraisers and church gatherings!Our recycling bins and signage at the 2012 Festival of Nations.
- Let’s Get Started: Click here to learn more about the DIY loan program.
Please note that on April 22, 2015, Mayor Francis Slay signed Executive Order #52 which REQUIRES all permitted events in the City of St. Louis to provide recycling. Let us help you meet these requirements at your next special event!
Upcoming ROG events:
Visit our ROG calendar to find out where you can find recycling at upcoming events.
If you like getting your hands dirty, sharing your passion for recycling and composting with others, and feeling satisfied that you made a real difference — then you’re in the right place! Recycling On the Go is looking for individuals to help green events around St. Louis, and promote it through marketing and media.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities at some really great events include (updated 5.26.16):
- Sauce Magazine’s Food Truck Friday event series (every second Friday May-Sept plus October 7, 2016)
- International Institute of St. Louis’ Festival of Nations August 27-28, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Twilight Tuesdays August 30, September 6/13/20/27, and October 4- Sign Up Here
- Kirkwood Greentree Festival September 16-18, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Schlafly’s Hop in the City September 17, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Pedal the Cause September 24-25, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Schlafly’s Great Pumpkin Harvest Festival November 12, 2016- Sign Up Here
- Girls On the Run November 12, 2016- Sign Up Here