Recycling On the Go
Advancing event sustainability through education & action since 2006.
St. Louis Earth Day’s Recycling On the Go is the region’s first comprehensive event greening program. Our goal is to reduce the negative environmental impact of events and festivals by reducing and recycling a portion of the waste they generate. We offer a full range of services from managing event recycling to full event greening assessments and action plans.
- See our ROG calendar to find out where you can find recycling at upcoming events.
- Visit our volunteer opportunities page to find out how you can help. Individuals and groups welcome!
Get recycling or composting at your event!
- Full Service Event Greening We’ll help you examine your event and identify areas where eco-friendly approaches can be applied. We specialize in waste diversion and can arrange waste haulers, on-site recycling/compost management and/or support vendor communications so that your green goals are realized.
Let’s Get Started: Click here to submit information about your event.
- Do-It-Yourself Event Recycling Allows access to our fleet of recycling and compost bins by small event organizers and community groups through our bin loan program. Perfect for fundraisers and church gatherings!
Let’s Get Started: Click here to learn more about the DIY loan program.
- Our service was available on 101 event days and experienced by almost 625,000 event-goers!
- We provided full service event greening at 45 large area events.
- Our recycling bins were utilized at 32 community events, charity functions and celebrations through our Do-It-Yourself recycling loan program.
- We diverted 53 tons of mixed recyclables, organic waste and compostable food service items and spent cooking oil! That’s almost 1,000 cubic yards of waste! In addition to breaking our record for waste diversion, we provided event greening services at more events than ever.
- Full listing of our 2013 ROG events.
About Recycling On the Go
Named Outstanding Community Recycling Program for 2012 by the Missouri Recycling Association, we began in 2006 when St. Louis Earth Day was awarded grant funding to pilot a program focused on reducing and recycling waste produced at special events. Since the official launch of Recycling On the Go in 2007, approximately 241 tons of materials have been diverted from area landfills (primarily recycling, but this figure includes compost and spent oil). Recycling On the Go has enhanced the waste management of 336 events (656 event days). Many of these events occur annually, and so ROG has become an established part of organizers’ planning and patrons’ experience. Over the past seven seasons, the program has exposed over 4.8 million people to recycling when away from home. Through these efforts, people have come to expect access to recycling containers when they attend an event.