For Individual and Group Volunteers
St. Louis Earth Day Festival Volunteer Job Listings:
Earth Day Festival Volunteer task descriptions are listed below.
Deadline to receive a Festival volunteer t-shirt is March 31, 2016.
Festival Registration closes April 8, 2016
Saturday Set-Up Crews
Help us prepare The Muny grounds for the Festival. Activities may include, but are not limited to: moving/vendor distribution of tables/chairs, setting up straw bales, setting up barricades and traffic signage, and placing recycling bins throughout the festival footprint. (Must be able to lift at least 20 lbs.) *Recommended for volunteer groups!
- SATURDAY – 8 am – 12 pm
- SATURDAY – 12 – 4 pm
Saturday Vendor Check Point Check-In
Vendor set up is on Saturday this year. Volunteers are needed to give out vendor packets and mark off the vendor’s arrival.
- SATURDAY – McKinley Dr. entrance 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
- SATURDAY – Theater Dr. entrance 9 am – 1:15 pm
- SATURDAY – McKinley Dr. entrance 12 – 3:15 pm
Earth Day Eve Fundraiser
Assist in multiple capacities (i.e. event set-up, welcome table/ticket booth, entertainment support, and as needed). *Recommended for volunteer groups!
- SATURDAY – 12:00 – 4:00 pm
- SATURDAY – 3:45-7:30 pm *event and clean up
Looking for previous experience and new volunteers to learn the ropes!
Welcome visitors and answer questions relating to schedules and locations at main Information Booth or the Green Dining Alliance (GDA) Info Booth (Requires patience and good communication/people skills.)
- SUNDAY – 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
- SUNDAY – 12:15 – 3:15 pm
- SUNDAY – 3:00 – 6:00 pm
Volunteers will sell this year’s St. Louis Earth Day t-shirts and other items.
- SUNDAY- 9:30 am – 12 pm
- SUNDAY- 11:30 am – 3 pm
- SUNDAY- 2:30 – 6 pm
Help manage free bike valet parking stations, located at McKinley Dr./Pagoda Circle and on Theater Dr, for the many bike riders that arrive at the Festival on two wheels. *Recommended for volunteer groups!
- SUNDAY 9:00 – 11:30 am
- SUNDAY 11 am – 2 pm
- SUNDAY 1:30 – 4:30 pm
- SUNDAY 4 – 7 pm *May be asked to assist with tear down.
Help inspire kids and adults through hands-on, recycled art activities. Assist Sue from the Teachers’ Recycle Center facilitate an art activity using recycled materials.
- SUNDAY – 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
- SUNDAY – 12:45 – 3:45 pm
- SUNDAY – 3:30 – 7:00 pm *May be asked to help with clean up
Earth Day Challenge Booth
Volunteers will assist our Board members with giving attendees their prize for completing 2 of 3 challenges.
- SUNDAY – 9 am – 12 pm
- SUNDAY – 11:30 am – 3 pm
- SUNDAY- 2:30 – 6 pm
- SUNDAY – 9:30 am – 12 pm
- SUNDAY – 11:30 – 2 pm
- SUNDAY – 1:30 – 4 pm
- SUNDAY – 3:30 – 6 pm
Entertainment – Earth Day Main or Cafe Stage Managers
Hang out with our awesome musicians! Be the point person at one of the two stages, assist entertainment coordinator with management of stage schedule, help our entertainers move their gear and props, help in one of the two hospitality tents (serving drinks & sandwiches), or fulfill other entertainment-related tasks. Ability to operate golf cart safely in large crowd and/or some experience/interest in food service.
- SUNDAY – Main Stage 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
- SUNDAY – Cafe Stage 10:15 am – 12:45 pm
- SUNDAY – Main Stage 12:15 – 3:15 pm
- SUNDAY – Cafe Stage 12:30 – 3:30 pm
- SUNDAY – Main stage 3:00 – 6:00 pm
- SUNDAY – Cafe Stage 3:15 – 6:00 pm
Recycling On the Go Team
Make an important impact on the event and on each visitor by helping them sort their waste into recyclable and compostable materials, and the stuff that’s destined for the landfill. To read more, visit our ROG program pages. (Must be willing to work with trash. Safety equipment provided. Waste collectors must be able to lift at least 20 lbs.) *Recommended for volunteer groups!
- SATURDAY – 3:45 – 7:15 pm *Earth Day Eve
- SUNDAY 9 am – 12 pm
- SUNDAY 11:30 am– 2:30 pm
- SUNDAY 2 – 5 pm
- SUNDAY 4:30 – 7:30 pm *Assist with tear down
Photo Booth Managers
For the first time, St. Louis Earth Day Festival will have a green screen photo booth for everyone to enjoy! Goodeye Photo Share photo booth will offer three background options to choose from and photos will be sent to the attendee’s email address. A short training session will be provided at Volunteer Orientation.
- SUNDAY – 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- SUNDAY – 12:45 – 4:00 pm
- SUNDAY – 3:45 – 6:00 pm *assist with equipment pack-up
Festival Floaty Assigned Where Needed
Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to fill in where needed–experience a variety of volunteer responsibilities at the Festival by helping us best meet our needs.
- SUNDAY – 9:00 am – 12 pm
- SUNDAY – 12 – 3 pm
- SUNDAY – 3 – 6 pm
Traffic Control Sergeants
Important to general traffic flow in and around Festival footprint, volunteers will direct vendors, volunteers, public and answer questions. Volunteers over 18 years old are needed for certain locations to drive golf cart transports to and from parking lots for disabled attendees and for Cafe Stage entertainers.
- SATURDAY – 8:45 am – 12:00 Cricket Drive/Pagoda Circle
- SATURDAY – 8:45 am – 12:00 Theater Drive/Pagoda Circle
- SATURDAY – 11:30 am – 3:30 pm Cricket Drive/Pagoda Circle
- SATURDAY – 11:30 am – 3:30 pm Theater Drive/Pagoda Circle
- SUNDAY – 8:30 – 11:30 am Transport/Direction
- SUNDAY – 11:15 am – 2:00 pm Transport/Direction
- SUNDAY – 1:45 – 4:00 pm Transport/Direction
- SUNDAY – 3:45 – 6:15 pm Transport/Direction
- SUNDAY – 7:00 – 9:30 am Theater Dr/Union entrance
- SUNDAY – 9:15 am – 12:00 pm Theater Dr/Union entrance
- SUNDAY – 11:45 am – 2:00 pm Theater Dr/Union entrance
- SUNDAY – 1:45 – 4:00 pm Theater Dr/Union entrance
- SUNDAY – 3:45 – 6:00 pm Theater Dr/Union entrance
Tear Down Crew
Help return The Muny grounds to their pre-Festival splendor. Activities may include, but are not limited to: breaking-down Festival booths (such as information, recycling stations, volunteer, merchandise, etc.), picking up debris on the event grounds, and assisting with supplies load out. Help to supervise special parking areas, such as the musician/performers parking area. (Must be able to lift at least 20 lbs.) * Recommended for volunteer groups!
- SUNDAY – 6:00 – 8:00 pm
Volunteer Captain Opportunities!
Captains are those valuable volunteers with a desire to lead a team of volunteers to make the Festival happen. All individuals will be provided with the information and details needed to perform successfully as a Captain. Captains will be invited to meet/greet with their volunteer team at the Volunteer Orientation, conducted at the Muny, just prior to the Festival. Captains will be given a radio to communicate with volunteer coordinator.
Festival Experience Areas: Arts & Crafts, Cafe Row, Energy, Farmers Market, Home, Muny Walkway, Nature & Wildlife, Social Sustainability-(New!), Reduce/Reuse/Recycle, Sponsor Row, Transportation/Alternative Fuels, Wellness, Youth Corner. Zones will include more than one Experience Area.
To be a Captain, see descriptions below and complete a simple application–Registration is CLOSED
Zone Captains – Set-Up (Saturday)
- Manage volunteers for distribution of vendor booth tents/tables/chairs to appropriate booth space, as well as any picnic tables, barriers, hay bales, etc. for the Experience Area, according to vendor set-up logistics spreadsheet
- Double check distribution of items listed above for each booth number and/or Area
- Confirm that each vendor checked in and received vendor info
- Troubleshoot problems/questions and help vendors with any other need
- Captains will be assigned a radio for communication with volunteer coordinators, or others, if needed
Zone Captains – Festival (Sunday)
- Walk through/inspect assigned Zones before Festival start to determine if vendors have arrived and are ready for event opening
- Correct any issues that need to be completed/changed
- Report to volunteer coordinator when Area inspection is complete/ready
- Be the go-to contact for problems during the Festival in the assigned Zone for vendors/Staff
- Provide information, updates, changes that may occur at Festival to vendors/event management in assigned Area
- Transportation and Sponsor Row Zone: Escort pets and vehicles
Task Captains – Festival (Sunday)
Task Captains are leaders for specific Festival tasks, such as: Information Booth, Welcome Captain (Program Distribution), ROG, and Traffic Control. Task Captain will manage and assist those volunteers assigned to the task by training, tracking supply/materials needed/replenishing, and be go-to contact for attendees/Volunteer Coordinator/Staff.
Information Booth Captain
- Direct and assist volunteers for booth set up/organization
- Orient volunteers working in the booth
- Answer questions/provide information, updates, changes that may occur at Festival
- Know and understand layout, logistics schedule, Festival schedule
- Contact security with information about missing children/parents
- Record crowd counts from volunteers at 5 entrances
- Check in on volunteers
- Check distribution of programs (are there enough? Reallocate if needed)
- Train volunteers as they arrive for shifts
- Escort volunteers to assigned stations
- Check in on the hour with volunteers to answer questions and address sorting issues
Traffic Control Captains
- Direct and assist volunteers assigned to traffic control to provide traffic monitoring, parking and directional assistance for vendors and other volunteers, according to logistics plan
- Direct and assist volunteers assigned to Festival traffic control to provide vendor parking direction and assistance, attendee and entertainment transport via golf cart (when needed), provide information about layout/answer questions pertaining to parking, etc.
- Direct and assist volunteers assigned to load out at the end of the Festival for vendors and attendees by working with event security, according to logistics plan
- Captains will be assigned a radio for communication with volunteer coordinators, security or others, if needed
Volunteer Orientation (and t-shirt pick up) for all volunteers will be conducted on Wednesday, April 13th – 2 session times will be available: 4-5:15pm and 6-7:15pm in Orthwein Hall behind Muny Box Office. Posters will also be available for pick up at both meeting times.